Features at a glance:
- 1.3MP camera capable of video capture at
- SXGA (1280 x 1024): up to 15 fps (frames/second)
- VGA (640 x 480): up to 30 fps
- CIF (352 x 288): up to 60 fps
- QVGA (320 x 240): up to 60 fps
- QCIF (176 x 144): up to 120 fps
- QQVGA (160 x 120): up to 60 fps
- QQCIF (88 x 72): up to 120 fps
- Quad-core ARM Cortex A7 processor, default clock 1.35GHz. Supports hard floating-point operations (VFPv4) and NEON SIMD multimedia instructions.
- Dual-core MALI-400 GPU (graphics processing unit), supports OpenGL-ES 2.0.
- 256MB DDR3-1600 SDRAM.
- USB-powered (requires USB 3.0 port or Y-cable to two USB 2.0 ports). Maximum power usage 3.5 Watts, with 1.5 Watt - 2.5 Watt typical depending on which machine vision algorithm is running on the JeVois processor.
- Integrated cooling fan ensures that CPU and GPU can run at their maximum frequency even under sustained full processing load (system chip typically runs at less than 50C under full load for days or weeks, whereas the first threshold to start reducting clock speed to avoid processor overheating is at 75C).
- USB Video Class (UVC) compliant interface to a host computer, JeVois platform shows up as a standard USB webcam with no need to install drivers on Windows, MacOS, Android, and Linux (iOS detects the device but does not seem to support webcam class devices as of iOS 9, either from JeVois or from other manufacturers we tested).
- Dual-voltage serial port (UART 5V or 3.3V, selected through a VCC-IO pin), allows the device to comunicate directly with Arduino or other embedded controllers.
- Micro-SD socket holds embedded operating system, JeVois machine vision modules, and can store user data (e.g., video captured by the device).
- One two-color LED: Green: power is good (USB ports are not too weak to power the device). Orange: power is good and camera is streaming video frames.
- Plastic case included with 4 holes for secure mounting.
The JeVois hardware is the result of state of the art electronics design and manufacturing. The actual size of the photograph below is less than 30mm (1.2 inch) wide.